Photo by Mem
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
1/2 cup (75g) cornflour
1 cup (250ml) boiling water
1 1/2 tablespoons dry instant coffee
1/2 cup (125ml) marsala
1/4 cup (25g) finely grated chocolate
300ml thickened cream, whipped
75g dark chocolate, extra
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
1/4 cup (60ml) marsala
2 cups (500g) mascarpone
1. Preheat the oven to moderate (180c). Grease 2 19cm-square cake pans, line bases with baking paper.
2. Beat eggs and sugar in large bowl with an electric mixer for about 8 minutes or until thick and creamy. Gently fold in triple-sifted flours alternately with 1/4 cup (60ml) of the boiling water. Divide mixture evenly between prepared pans and bake in a moderate oven 25 minutes. Stand sponges 5 minutes before turning onto wire racks to cool.
3. Combine remaining boiling water, coffee and marsala in a small bowl; cool.
4. Line a clean 19cm-square cake pan with plastic wrap; split each sponge cake in half. Place one layer of cake in the base of pan; brush 1/3 cup (80ml) of coffee mixture over cake, spread with 1 cup of mascarpone filling, sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon of grated chocolate.
5. Repeat layers, ending with a cake layer; cover, refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
6. Turn cake onto serving plate, spread the top and sides with whipped cream. Using a vegetable peeler, make chocolate curls from extra dark chocolate and sprinkle over cake.
Beat egg yolks and sugar in a small bowl with electric mixer until thick and creamy. Add marsala and mascarpone; beat until just combined.