Photo by Sares
175g whole blanched almonds
5 egg whites
225g caster sugar
110g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
70g plain flour, sifted
300ml thickened cream, whipped
150g pure icing sugar, plus extra to dust
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g Toblerone chocolate
250g punnet strawberries
1. Preheat the oven to 120°C. Lightly roast the almonds in the oven for about 20 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and process until a fine powder.
2. Cut three 20cm circles from non-stick baking paper. Grease one side of circles and place on baking trays greased-side up.
3. Beat together the egg whites and half the caster sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until stiff. Add the ground almond and remaining sugar, and stir to combine. Gently fold in butter and flour. Spread onto baking paper circles to 1cm thick and bake for 50 minutes, then peel off paper and set aside to cool.
4. Beat together the cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl until thick. Set aside.
5. Melt Toblerone in a bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Set aside to cool slightly.
6. Place one meringue round on a plate, spread with half the Toblerone and top with a third of the cream mixture. Repeat, then top with third meringue and pile the remaining cream mixture on top. Cut the strawberries lengthways into quarters and arrange on top. Dust with the icing sugar.