Strawberry Cream Cheese Shortcake with Warm Custard
125g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar, plus 2 tablespoons extra
2 eggs, lightly beaten
125g cream cheese, softened
2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
375g strawberries, hulled, halved if large
Warmed bought custard, to serve
50g chilled butter, cubed
1/3 cup plain flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180Â°C (fan-forced). Lightly grease a 4cm deep, 20cm x 30cm (base measurement) baking tray with butter and line with non-stick baking paper.
2. Use electric beaters to beat the butter and caster sugar for 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs and beat for 2 minutes until well combined.
3. Add half the cream cheese and half the self-raising flour and stir to combine. Add the remaining cream cheese and self-raising flour and gently combine. Gently fold in 200g of the strawberries and spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tray.
4. To prepare the crumble, place the butter, plain flour and brown sugar in a bowl. Use your fingertips to combine until they resemble coarse breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over the cake mixture and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
5. Bring the remaining strawberries, extra caster sugar and 2 tablespoons water to the boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the strawberries soften but maintain their shape.
6. Serve the warm shortcake topped with the strawberries and drizzled with warm custard.