Double Chocolate Cake
200g dark chocolate
150g unsalted butter, chopped into cubes
3 eggs, separated
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
Creamy Chocolate Icing:
250g dark cooking chocolate, broken into pieces
150m1 pure cream
1. Preheat the oven to 200Â°C (fan-forced). Grease and line a 22cm springform cake tin.
2. Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until melted. Stir until smooth and combined, then remove from the heat.
3. Using electric beaters, beat the egg yolks and sugar for 3-4 minutes until pale and fluffy.
4. Add the melted chocolate mixture, a quarter of a cup at a time, beating well between each addition until smooth and without streaks.
5. Using clean electric beaters, beat the eggwhites until firm peaks form. Fold into the chocolate mixture in two batches. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 20 minutes, until the sides have puffed up and are crispy. Allow to cool.
6. To make the icing, place the chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water for 8-10 minutes, being careful the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir until smooth and pour over the cake. Place the cake in the fridge until the icing sets.