Photo by Julie O’Malley
Spring Berry Tart
1 cup (150g) plain flour
2 Tbsp caster sugar, plus 1/3 cup (75g) extra
90g cold, unsalted butter, chopped
2 – 3 Tbsp iced water
1 3/4 cups (350g) low fat ricotta
1/4 cup (60ml) light cream
grated rind of 1 orange
250g punnet strawberries, hulled
125g punnet blueberries
- Process flour, 2 Tablespoons caster sugar and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. With motor running, gradually add iced water, until a ball forms. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven 180c or 160c fan forced. Lightly grease a 23cm pie or flan dish. Pat dough into a flat disc on a lightly floured surface and roll out to 3mm thick. Use to line prepared dish and trim edges. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Line pastry shell with baking paper and fill with weights. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove weights and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use an electric mixer to beat ricotta, cream, extra sugar, eggs and orange rind until just smooth. Pour into pastry shell and bake for 30 minutes, until set. Remove from oven and cool. Chill until cold.
- Just before serving, arrange fruit over tart.