750ml (3 cups) vodka
225g (1 cup) white sugar
435ml (1 3/4 cups) water
1. Place the lemons in a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 1 hour to soak. Drain. Pat dry. Finely grate the lemon. Combine lemon rind and vodka in a jug.
2. Meanwhile, place the sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil. Cook, without stirring, for 3 minutes or until the syrup thickens. Set aside to cool.
3. Add syrup to the vodka mixture. Pour into sterilised airtight bottles. Seal and store in a cool, dark place, shaking occasionally, for 1 month to develop the flavours.
4. Strain the vodka mixture through a fine sieve. Discard the rind. Pour into a clean sterilised airtight bottle.
* This luscious lemon liqueur must be served well chilled. Place it in the freezer for one hour before serving.
* Make this recipe up to 1 month ahead.