Photo by Julie O’Malley
Cinnamon and Apple Teacake
Melted butter to grease
180g butter, at room temp
155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
300g (2 cups) self raising flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
185ml (3/4 cup) milk
1 large red apple, quartered, cored, cut into 4mm thick wedges
15g butter, melted, extra
1 Tbsp demerara sugar
double cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180c, fan off.
2. Brush a round 22cm base measurement cake pan, with melted butter to lightly grease. Line base with non-stick baking paper.
3. Use an electric beater to beat the butter and caster sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the flour, cinnamon and milk.
4. Spoon the cake mixture into the lined pan and smooth the surface. Press the apple into the cake mixture.
5. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside for 10 mins to cool. Turn onto a wire rack.
6. Brush the cake with extra melted butter and sprinkle over demerara sugar. Serve with cream if desired.
Recipe Submitted by Julie O’Malley