Rhubarb and Hazelnut Crumb Cake
1 (550g) bunch young rhubarb
40g (1 1/2 cups) icing sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
125g ground hazelnuts
50g (1/2 cup) plain flour
185g unsalted butter, melted
6 egg whites
1 1/2 tablespoons Demerara sugar
40g caster sugar
60g plain flour
40g unsalted butter, softened
60g sliced almonds
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
1. For crumb topping, combine sugar and flour in a bowl, then rub in butter until mixture forms clumps. Rub through almonds and zest until combined.
2. Trim leaves and ends from rhubarb, then cut into 2cm lengths and weigh the rhubarb: you will need 325g.
3. Preheat oven to 190°C. Grease a 24cm square cake tin and line with baking paper.
4. Push icing sugar, cinnamon, hazelnut and flour through a coarse sieve over a bowl, then stir in butter and egg whites until just combined.
5. Spoon into tin, scatter with half the crumb topping, then rhubarb, then remaining topping.
6. Sprinkle with demerara sugar and bake for 40 minutes or until firm to the touch.
7. Cool in tin for 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.