Makes about 40
2 cups plain flour
2 tablespoons rice flour
1/3 cup icing sugar
250g butter, cubed
1/2 cup chopped pecans (or other nuts)
1. Sift flours and icing sugar together. Rub in butter using fingertips, until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Press together.
2. Turn out onto a lightly-floured surface. Knead gently. Halve mixture. Roll or press out 1 portion to form a 1cm thick round. Place on a baking paper-lined tray.
3. Decorate edges. Mark out 8 equal portions on round. Prick with a fork. Sprinkle with a little sugar if desired. Bake in a moderately slow oven (160°C) for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden.
4. Prepare Pecan Shapes: Gently knead nuts into remaining mixture. Roll out to 1cm thick. Cut into shapes using cutters. Place on baking paper-lined baking trays.
5. Bake in a moderately slow oven (160Â°C) for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden. Stand for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.