Spiced Lamb, Couscous and Spinach Salad
3/4 cup (180ml) Olive Oil
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 small fresh red Thai chilli, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, crushed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 (600g) lamb back straps (eye of loin)
1/3 cup (80ml) lemon juice
2 large (360g) carrots, sliced thinly
1-1/2 cups (300g) couscous
1-1/2 cups (375ml) boiling water
400g chickpeas, rinsed, drained
75g spinach leaves
1/3 cup fresh mint, chopped finely
1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves
1. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the oil; combine remaining oil, sugar, paprika, cumin, chilli, garlic and salt and pepper to taste in a small screw top jar; shake well. Place 2 tablespoons of the dressing in a medium bowl with lamb; cover, refrigerate for up to 3 hours. Add lemon juice to remaining dressing.
2. Boil, steam or microwave carrots until tender; drain. Place hot carrots in large serving bowl with half of the dressing; toss to coat.
3. Heat the reserved oil in a large frying pan. Cook lamb for about 10 minutes or until browned all over and cooked to medium. Transfer to plate; cover and keep warm.
4. Meanwhile, place couscous in a large heatproof bowl; add boiling water and salt to taste. Stand, covered, for about 5 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff couscous with a fork.
5. Combine sliced lamb with remaining dressing, couscous, chickpeas, spinach and herbs in same bowl with carrots. Toss gently.