Nutty Apple Cookies
1/2 cup shortening
1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup apple juice
2-1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
1 medium tart apple, peeled, cored, and shredded
3/4 cup raisins
2 Tbsp. margarine
2 Tbsp. water
1-3/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Beat shortening and 1 1/4 cups brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined.
3. Add egg and beat 1 minute. Add apple juice and beat at low speed until blended.
4. In another bowl stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
5. Add egg mixture to the flour mixture, beating at low speed until combined. Fold in apple and raisins.
6. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheet.
8. Remove to wire racks and cool.
9. Heat margarine, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and water over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
10. Remove from heat.
11. Stir in sifted powdered sugar. If frosting begins to harden, stir in small amount of milk to make of spreading consistency.
12. Spread cookies with Caramel Frosting and sprinkle with walnuts