Makes about 20
125g butter, chopped
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg yolk
2 cups plain flour
3 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 cup golden syrup
currants and glace cherries
1 egg white
1 1/4 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
few drops of lemon juice
food colouring (optional)
1. Beat butter and sugar together in a large bowl, using an electric beater, until creamy. Add egg yolk, mixing well.
2. Sift flour, ginger and soda together. Warm the golden syrup in the microwave on HIGH (100%) power for 20 seconds. Blend into creamed mixture with sifted ingredients.
3. Knead mixture gently on a lightly-floured surface. Roll out until 5mm thick.
4. Cut out gingerbread men using a cutter. Arrange on lightly-greased baking trays.
5. Press in currants for eyes and cherries for noses. Bake in a moderate oven (180°C) for 10 to 15 minutes. Cool on trays.
6. Prepare icing Beat egg white with a wooden spoon until frothy. Add icing sugar a spoonful at a time, beating after each. When icing is a piping consistency, add lemon juice. Add colouring and use to decorate cold gingerbread men and to attach lollies.