500g chicken thigh fillets, quartered
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp butter
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp finely chopped ginger (or 1/2 tsp ground)
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1 cinnamon stick (or 1 tsp ground)
6 cardamom pods, bruised (or 1-2 tsp seeds or ground)
2 Tbsp tomato paste
400g tin tomatoes
1 Tbsp sugar
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup cream, plus extra if desired
Coriander for garnishing
1. Heat a little oil in a large frypan and brown chicken. Transfer to preheating slow cooker.
2. Add the onion and garlic to the pan, frying gently until the onion is softened. Add butter and spices, and continue frying gently until spices are fragrant.
3. Add tomato paste, tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper and increase heat to med – med/high. Simmer for a few minutes, stirring until mixture has thickened. Add cream and stir well to combine.
4. Remove from heat and pour into slow cooker, stirring to distribute the sauce evenly. Replace lid and slow cook for 1/2 hour on high, then about 3-5 hours on low, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove cardamom and cinnamon stick. Add extra cream or yoghurt to taste. Garnish with plenty of freshly chopped coriander.