Orange Poppy Seed Cake
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
2 tablespoons milk
125g butter, softened
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup self raising flour
1/3 cup almond meal
1/4 cup orange juice
orange slices to decorate
200g cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup icing sugar mixture
2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
2 teaspoons orange juice
1. Grease a 14cm x 21cm loaf pan; line base and two long sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above edges of pan.
2. Combine poppy seeds and milk in a small bowl; stand for 15 minutes. Beat butter, sugar and rind in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined between additions. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in sifted flours, almonds, juice and poppy seed mixture. Spread mixture into prepared pan.
3. Cook in a moderate oven, 180Â°C, for about 40 minutes or until cooked when tested. Stand cake in pan for 10 minutes; turn onto a wire rack to cool.
4. Orange Cream: Beat all ingredients in a small bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
5. Spread Orange Cream over top of cake. Decorate with orange slices.