Large Bread Cob
700g of High Grade Plain Flour
15g of sea salt
15g of fresh yeast
430ml of lukewarm water
Extra flour for dusting
Vegetable oil for greasing bowl
Large baking tray lightly greased
1. Preheat oven to 200Â°C
2. Crumb yeast into bowl and cream with 4 tablespoons of water.
3. Pour all the Flour into a pile on the bench, add sea salt, make well in centre and pour in yeast liquid. Pour in the remaining measured lukewarm water.
4. Using your hand drag half the Flour into the well until a smooth batter is made. Leave for 20 minutes.
5. Gradually mix the remainder into batter. Knead into ball and put into a lightly greased bowl.
6. Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise for 1 1/2 Â 2 hours. Note: When dough has properly risen it will not spring back when pressed with finger.
7. Knock back with knuckles and work on lightly floured surface.
8. Roll out until the top looks smooth and even. Put loaf on baking tray.
9. Slash the loaf with a sharp knife diagonally 3 times.
10. Cover with damp tea towel until the loaf doubles in size.
11. Lightly flour the top and put into oven. Cook for 15 minutes then lower oven to 190Â°C. Continue baking for 25 minutes until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
Makes 1 loaf.