Flourless Hazelnut Torte
360gm best quality cooking bittersweet chocolate
30gm soft unsalted butter
30gm castor sugar
12 eggs, separated
1/2 cup hazelnuts
cocoa powder / grated chocolate / fresh berries to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 150deg. Grease and line a 26-28cm spring form cake tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pot of hot water. Fold in the sugar and egg yolks, bating for a few minutes until well combined.
3. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Beat 1/4 of this into the chocolate base. Fold in the remaining whites and hazelnuts.
4. Spoon mixture into the cake tin, level and place in the oven for 40 – 50 minutes.
5. When cake feel firms and springy, remove from oven. Turn it out upside down on a serving platter and remove cake tin. Cool for at least 1 hour before serving or storing. The centre should fall in during the resting period.
6. Dust with carob, grated chocolate or cocoa powder and serve with fresh berries and hazelnuts.