Sticky Date Pudding
200g coarsely chopped dried dates
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 1/4 cups boiling water
60ml olive oil
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup self raising flour
1/4 teaspoon mixed spice
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup (250ml) thickened cream
1. Preheat oven to 180°c. Grease and line a 20cm cake pan with baking paper.
2. To make pudding, place dates, soda and water into a medium heatproof bowl and stand for 5-10 minutes.
3. Place date mixture, oil and sugar in a food processor and pulse 3 times. Add remaining ingredients and pulse mixture until just combined. Scrape down sides of bowl if necessary. Do not over process.
5. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Remove from oven and stand for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
6. Meanwhile, to make sauce, place all ingredients in a small saucepan over a low heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved and ingredients are well combined.
7. Serve warm.