Photo by Julie O’Malley
150g dark cooking choc, melted
8 tsp coffee & chicory essence
125g unsalted butter
125g caster sugar
125g ground almonds
60g fresh breadcrumbs
4 large eggs, separated
200g dark cooking choc
125ml sour cream
whipped cream to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180c.
2. Grease and line base of a 23cm springform cake tin.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the melted chocolate and coffee & chicory essence.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in the almonds, breadcrumbs, egg yolks and melted chocolate mixture.
5. Whisk egg whites until stiff. Mix 2 Tablespoons of egg whites into the chocolate mixture to slacken it. Fold in the remaining egg whites.
6. Spoon mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40-45 mins, or until firm.
7. Turn out onto a wire cooling rack to cool and cover with a slightly damp clean tea towel for 5 mins. Remove tea towel and allow to cool completely.
For the icing: Melt chocolate in the top of double boiler over gently simmering water. Remove from heat, stir in sour cream with balloon whisk. While icing is still warm, pour over the cake and allow to set.
Decorate with whipped cream.
Recipe Submitted by Julie O’Malley