Braised Chicken with Pumpkin, Sage, and Walnuts
1 small chicken or 1 medium chicken, cut into serving pieces (or your favourite mix of chicken parts)
salt and pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup diced onions
1 cup diced carrots
2 1/2 cups peeled seeded and diced pumpkin or butternut squash
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 1/2 cups hot chicken broth
2 Tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves or 1 tablespoon dried sage, plus some for garnish (optional)
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts, plus some for garnish (optional)
1. Generously sprinkle chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
2. Over medium heat, melt olive oil and butter in a large pan (Note: pan must have a lid) that you can fit all chicken pieces in without crowding.
3. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook slowly until chicken is golden brown colour.
4. Turn pieces over, add onions, carrots, and pumpkin and cook until chicken is golden brown.
5. Once the chicken is browned, let it and the vegetables cook slowly together for 5 to 7 minutes.
6. Add about 1 3/4 cup of hot stock and simmer over low heat for 30-35 minutes, slightly uncovered, checking occasionally to add more stock, if needed.
7. Transfer chicken pieces to a large serving platter.
8. Add walnuts and sage to the pot and cook for two minutes.
9. Spoon vegetables onto the serving platter around the chicken, and pour the remaining sauce in the pot over the chicken.
10. Sprinkle reserved sage and walnuts over the dish to garnish.