Bacon and Egg Pie
9 bacon rashers, finely chopped
2 medium brown onions, thinly sliced
3 sheets frozen puff pastry
salt and pepper to taste
extra 1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon milk
cracked black pepper to serve
fresh parsley to garnish
1. Grease a 26cm-round pie dish.
2. Add bacon to a heated large pan; stir until lightly browned. Add onions; cook, stirring, until soft. Cool.
3. On a lightly floured surface, join two of the pastry sheets together, slightly overlapping, along one edge. Roll pastry until large enough to line prepared dish. Trim edge; reserve pastry trimmings to decorate. Place dish on an oven tray.
4. Spoon bacon mixture over pastry base. Carefully pour unbeaten eggs over bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Roll remaining pastry on a lightly floured surface until large enough to cover top of pie. Trim edge. Cut out shapes from reserved pastry trimmings to decorate top of pie. Brush all over with combined extra egg and milk.
6. Cook in a moderately hot oven, 190°C, for about 30 minutes or until filling is set and pastry is lightly browned. (Cover loosely with foil if pastry is over-browning during cooking.) Stand pie in dish for 10 minutes before serving.
7. Serve pie warm or cold sprinkled with cracked black pepper; garnish with parsley.