Double Chocolate Mud Cake
melted butter, for greasing
200g butter, chopped
200g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
30g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder, sifted
2 tbsp espresso instant coffee powder
60ml (1/4 cup) water
1 tsp vanilla extract
220g (1 cup) caster sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
115g (3/4 cup) self raising flour, sifted
150g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
125 ml (1/2 cup) thin cream
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Brush a deep, round 22cm cake pan with melted butter to grease. Line the pan with non-stick baking paper.
2. Combine the butter, chocolate, cocoa, coffee powder, water and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Use a balloon whisk to whisk over low heat until smooth and well combined. Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes, or until the mixture is lukewarm.
3. Meanwhile, use electric beaters to whisk the sugar and eggs in a large mixing bowl until pale and creamy. Add the chocolate mixture and whisk until well combined. Add the flour and mix until well combined.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and bake in the oven for 55 minutes or until moist crumbs cling to a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake.
5. Remove cake from oven and set aside for 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make the Ganache, combine the chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl over simmering water, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside for 1 and 1/2 hours, whisking occasionally, or until cooled to room temperature and thickened to a spreadable consistency.
7. Spread the Ganache over the cooled cake. Set aside for 30 minutes until the Ganache is firm. Cut the cake with a warm knife to prevent the Ganache from cracking.