Death by Chocolate
225g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
10ml vanilla essence
2 eggs, separated at room temperature
225g dark brown sugar
150ml sour cream
250g self raising flour
5g baking flour
400g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 165Â°C.
2. Place the chocolate, butter, milk and vanilla essence into a sauce pan over a very low heat. Stir continuously until the mixture is smooth, allow cooling.
3. Whisk the egg whites and sugar together to make meringue.
4. Combine the egg yolks and sour cream together and add to the chocolate mixture.
5. Sift the flour and baking powder into the chocolate and gently fold through.
6. Fold the meringue into the cake batter and pour the mixture into a lined 22cm spring form.
7. Bake for 50 minutes until cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
8. Place the chocolate and butter into a heat proof glass bowl over a sauce pan of warm water and allow to melt stirring until smooth.
9. When the cake has cooled cut in half and sprinkle with brandy.
10. Spread the jam through the centre then cover with the chocolate mixture.