Coq au Vin
Serves 4 – 6
2kg chicken pieces, skin and fat removed
1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoon olive oil
12 pickling onions, peeled
4 rashers bacon, chopped
1 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup brandy
1 cup chicken stock
200g button mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
2 bay leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Coat chicken pieces in flour and shake off excess. Heat butter and oil in a large frypan over medium heat and add chicken in batches and cook until brown, transfer to slow cooker.
2. In the same pan, add onions, bacon and garlic and cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until onions are lightly brown.
3. Add wine and brandy to pan and simmer gently for 5 minutes, scraping up all the pan sediment in the process.
4. Pour onion, bacon and wine mixture into slow cooker with the remaining ingredients. Cook on HIGH 3-4 hours, LOW 6-8 hours.
5. Season to taste, serve with crusty fresh bread.