Chocolate Raspberry Cake
To Prepare Tins:
1 Tbsp softened butter
1 Tbsp flour
2 tsp cocoa
150g unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup cocoa
300ml thickened cream
1/4 cup castor sugar
1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
300g dark chocolate, chopped small
50g softened butter
1. Melt butter in small pan, pour off clarified butter and leave to cool, discard the rest.
2. Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla on high speed for 10 mins until 3 times the original volume.
3. Sift flour and cocoa together twice and fold into cake mixture. Gently fold in the cooled butter mixture.
4. Divide mixture equally between prepared tins and bake in oven 18-20 mins or until cooked. Leave in tins 5 mins, and then cool completely on wire racks.
5. In a chilled bowl whip cream with sugar until thick and holding a firm peak. Crush raspberries with a fork and fold into the cream. Join the cake layers together with some of the cream. Cover the top and sides with the rest of the cream. Put cake in the freezer to become firm while preparing the ganache.
To Make Ganache: Place cream in a saucepan, heat until almost boiling. Remove from heat, add chocolate and butter, stir until melted and thoroughly combined. Cool until thick enough to hold its shape. Using a spatula spread top and sides of cake with ganache. Will keep in fridge for a couple of days, but nicest on day it is made.
To Prepare Tins: Use 3x20cm. Grease with the softened butter and dust with the combined flour and cocoa.