Photo by A delicious. Year – Katren
Chicken and Mango Salad
4 (about 120g each) chicken breasts, fat and sinew trimmed
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, crushed
60ml (1/4 cup) rice vinegar
1 lime, juiced
1 Tbsp caster sugar
2 kaffir lime leaves, thinly shredded
1 small red chilli, seeded, sliced
2 mangoes, peeled
200ml light olive oil
1 telegraph cucumber, very thinly sliced lengthways
2 cups snow pea shoots
75g fresh coriander leaves
6 shallots (spring onions), finely sliced
1. Season the chicken breasts, then place them in a steamer for 7-8 minutes. (Check they are ready by inserting a skewer into the thickest part; the juices should run clear.)
2. Shred chicken and place in a bowl.
3. Place the ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, lime juice, sugar, kaffir lime leaves and chilli in a bowl, add the chicken and stir to coat. Set aside for one hour to marinate.
4. Place the flesh from one of the mangoes in a food processor and puree, then add the oil and process until smooth. Thinly slice flesh from the remaining mango and set aside. Drain the chicken, reserving the marinade, and return to the bowl with cucumber, snow pea shoots, mango slices, coriander and shallots.
5. Stir mango puree into the reserved marinade and drizzle over the salad.