Middle Eastern Orange and Almond Cake
2 large oranges
2 1/2 cups almond meal
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
1/2 cup water
zest of 1 orange
1. Wash the oranges and scrub skins. Put whole oranges into pan, cover with water and boil for 2 hours or until very soft. Drain the water and leave to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 190 degrees. Line a 22cm springform tin with baking paper.
3. Put cooled oranges into food processor and blend until smooth
4. Whisk the eggs into a large bowl. Add the oranges, almond meal and 1 cup of the sugar and mix to combine. Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 1 1/4 hours. Leave to cool in tin for 5 minutes.
5. Put remaining sugar into pan with the water and orange zest and stir over low hear for 5 minutes until syrupy. Serve the wedges of cake with the sauce drizzled over the top.