Bread and Butter Pudding
Serve hot or cold with stewed or canned fruit and cream. Substitute any dried fruit of your choice in this recipe.
6 thin slices white bread
1/4 cup caster sugar
2 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup sultanas
ground nutmeg or ground cinnamon
1. Trim crusts from bread, butter each slice; cut into 4 triangles. Arrange 2 rows of triangles, butter-side up, overlapping slightly, along base of shallow ovenproof dish (8-cup capacity) Centre another row of triangles over first 2 rows, with triangles facing in opposite direction to triangles in first layer.
2. Whisk eggs, sugar, milk and essence together in bowl.
3. Pour 1/2 the custard mixture over bread; stand 10 minutes.
4. Whisk remaining custard mixture again, add sultanas; pour into dish. Sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon. Stand dish in baking dish, with enough boiling water to come halfway up side of dish.
5. Bake, uncovered, in moderately slow oven about 50 minutes or until custard is set.
Serves 4 TO 6
Recipe can be made a day ahead.
Store: covered, in refrigerator.
Freeze: not suitable.
Microwave: not suitable.
(Recipe from The Australian Women’s Weekly Cookbooks – Sweet Old-Fashioned Favourites.)