Buttermilk Pancakes with Glazed Fruit
1 cup (100g) one-minute oats or unprocessed oat bran
2 cups (500ml) buttermilk
1/2 cup (75g) dried fruit medley, chopped
1/2 cup (75g) plain flour, sifted
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons mono or polyunsaturated margarine, melted low-fat milk (optional)
1 tablespoon mono- or polyunsaturated margarine
1 tablespoon brown sugar
6 medium peaches or apricots or nectarines
1. Combine the oats and buttermilk in a bowl and let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the dried fruit, flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, egg and margarine and mix thoroughly. Let stand for up to 1 hour.
3. After standing, add a little low-fat milk if the mixture is too thick.
4. Heat a non-stick frying pan and spray with cooking spray or grease lightly with margarine. Pour in about 3 tablespoons of batter, cook over moderate to high heat until bubbly on top and lightly browned underneath.
5. Turn pancake to brown on other side. Repeat with remaining batter.
6. Set aside to keep warm.
7. To make the glazed fruit, melt the margarine and sugar together over medium heat in frying pan. Stir till sugar is dissolved. Add the sliced fruit and cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Serve warm over the pancakes.