Balti Chicken Pasanda
4 tablespoon Greek-style yoghurt
Half tablespoon black cumin seeds
4 cardamom pods
6 whole black peppercorns
2 tablespoon garam masala
2.5 cm or 1 in cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon ground almond
1 teaspoon (tsp) garlic pulp
1 tsp ginger pulp
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp salt
675 g chicken, skinned, boned and cubed
5 tbsp corn oil
2 medium onions, diced
3 fresh green chillies chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
120 ml single (light) cream
1. Mix the yoghurt, cumin seeds, cardamoms, peppercorns, garam masala, cinnamon stick, ground almond, ginger, garlic, chilli powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Add the chicken pieces and leave to marinate for about two hours.
2. Heat the oil in a large karahi or deep round-bottomed frying fan (skillet). Throw in the onions and fry for 2-3 minutes.
3. Pour in the chicken mixture and stir until it is well blended with the onions.
4. Cook over a medium heat for 12 – 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked through.
5. Add the green chillies and fresh coriander (cilantro), and four in the cream. Bring to the boil and serve garnished with more coriander, if desired.