Rum and Raisin Ice Cream
75g seedless raisins
4 Tablespoons dark rum
3 egg yolks
125g soft brown sugar
284ml single cream
284ml double cream, whipped
1. Place the raisins and rum in a bowl and leave to soak.
2. Place the egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl and whisk, using an electric mixer, until thick and mousse-like. Bring the single cream to just below boiling point and stir into the egg mixture. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until thickened. Strain and cool.
3. Fold the double cream into the cooled custard mixture. Transfer to a rigid freezer-proof container, cover, seal and freeze for 2 to 3 hours, until there is 2.5 cm (1 inch) of solid ice cream around the sides.
4. Mix well until smooth, then stir in the rum and raisins. Return to the freezer until firm.
5. Transfer to the refrigerator 20 minutes before serving to soften. Scoop into chilled glasses to serve.