Red Wine Chocolate Cake
185g butter, chopped at room temperature
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup water
whipped cream, to serve
200g dark eating chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup thickened cream
1. Preheat oven to moderate, 180 degrees. Lightly grease a 22cm round cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift flours and cocoa together. Lightly fold into creamed mixture alternately with combined wine and water.
4. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 1 – 1 1/4 hours until cooked when tested. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Chocolate Ganache: Combine chocolate and cream in a medium pan. Stir over low heat until smooth. Cool until mixture thickens slightly and is of a spreadable consistency (about 30 minutes).
6. Spread ganache over top and sides of cake. Serve in wedges with whipped cream.
Tip – Allow around 2 hours for cake to cool completely before icing it.