Perfect Fried Rice
50 mL peanut oil
Leftover boiled rice, cold (aprox 2-3 cups)
1/2 cup small prawns, shelled and deveined
1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped
1/4 cup peas
200g char siu (Chinese BBQ pork), diced
pinch white pepper
1. Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Add oil to a hot wok or large frying pan. (Tip: make sure the wok or frying pan is hot; this will ensure that the ingredients are cooked quickly and won’t stick together or absorb too much oil).
2. Pour the eggs into the wok and allow to set.
3. Add the cold rice, breaking it up and tossing it into the egg until both are evenly distributed.
4. Add the salt, white pepper and sugar.
5. Add the pork, prawns, shallots and peas. Cook for a further 1 minute on high heat, tossing the entire time. (Note: if you prefer you can substitute diced ham or bacon for the char siu).
6. Serve as an accompaniment to a Chinese-style meal or as a meal on its own.