Frangipani Apple Tart
Short Crust Pastry:
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 cup icing sugar
1 Tablespoon cold water
squeeze lemon juice
1 cup caster sugar
1 level Tablespoon plain flour
100g almond meal
1 Tablespoon kirsch
2 medium sized apples
1 level Tablespoon caster sugar
2 Tablespoons apricot jam
2 teaspoons kirsch
1. Place all pastry ingredients into a food processor and mix until dough is formed.
2. Line a 22 cm flan tin with the prepared pastry.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C and place a flat baking tray in oven to heat (this will help cook the under crust of the tart).
4. Cream butter and 1 cup caster sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
5. Add eggs one at a time mixing together thoroughly.
6. Beat in the plain flour and almond meal, and mix thoroughly.
7. Gradually add the kirsch whilst mixing.
8. Pour mixture into prepared pastry case.
9. Peel and core the apples, then squeeze a little lemon juice over the apples to stop them going brown.
10. Arrange apples in a pattern on top of the flan dish.
11. Sprinkle apples evenly with a tablespoon of caster sugar.
12. Bake tart on the heated tray for 45-50 minutes or until filling is set and pastry is golden.
13. Remove the tart from oven and allow to cool slightly.
14. Heat apricot jam and kirsch and brush over tart to form a glaze.
Tart is best served just warm with cream and/or ice-cream. Store bought pastry can also be used.