Photo by Julie O’Malley
Fettuccine with Zucchini, Feta and Prosciutto
60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
500g (5 small) zucchinis, coarsely grated
1 lemon, zested, juiced
1 Tablespoon torn marjoram leaves
1/4 cup torn mint leaves
200g feta, crumbled
10 slices prosciutto, torn
300g (2 cups) plain flour, plus extra, to dust
3 teaspoons olive oil
1. Making the Pasta Dough: Place flour and 1 teaspoon salt in the bowl of a food processor and process for 30 seconds to combine. Add eggs and oil, then process until mixture comes together. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface.
2. Kneading the Pasta Dough: Knead dough for 6 minutes or until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap. Leave for 15 minutes. Shape into a long sausage. Cut into 4 equal portions. Using a rolling pin, flatten portions into rectangles about as long as your hand and four fingers wide. Wrap dough in plastic wrap to prevent it drying out.
3. Rolling the Pasta Dough: Set your pasta machine at its widest setting. Feed 1 piece of dough through 4 times, folding it in half each time. Continue feeding through the dough, narrowing machine settings one notch at a time until you reach the thinnest setting. If necessary, dust lightly with flour if sticky and cut into shorter lengths. Repeat with remaining dough.
4. Making the Fettuccine: Once you have rolled all 4 portions of dough to the desired thickness, feed each portion through the fettuccine cutter. Place the fettuccine over a rail or the back of a chair, or lay it out on a tea towel dusted with flour to prevent it sticking. Cook pasta for 2 minutes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water or until al dente. Drain and keep warm.
5. Cooking Zucchini Mixture: Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant (be careful not to burn the garlic). Add grated zucchini and lemon zest, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the zucchini is softened. Remove pan from heat.
6. Finishing the Dish: Add marjoram, mint, butter and warm fettuccine to the zucchini mixture and, using a pair of tongs, toss well to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Scatter over feta, then add prosciutto and lemon juice, and toss well to combine. Divide pasta among bowls and serve immediately.