measuring cups and spoons
piece of paper the size of your hand
3 cups self-raising flour*
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
250 ml milk butter
* Equal amounts of wholemeal self-raising flour and plain self-raising flour can be used in this recipe.
1. Ask an adult to preheat the oven to 180’C.
2. Measure the flour, sugar and salt into the mixing bowl.
3. Add the milk and stir together quickly with a fork until you make a soft dough.
4. Grease the baking sheet by placing a little piece of butter onto the paper, then rub the butter all over the inside of the baking sheet.
5. Shape the dough into a ball and place it on the baking sheet.
6. Flatten the dough slightly with your hand.
7. Ask an adult to place the tray into the oven. Bake the damper for 25 minutes.
8. After 25 minutes ask an adult to help you check the damper by sticking a knife into the centre. If it comes out clean, the damper is ready. If dough sticks to the knife, bake the damper 5 minutes more, then check again.
9. When the damper is cooked, ask an adult to take it out of the oven. Let it cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes.