1 kg boned chicken, skinned (preferably from breast or thigh)
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1/2 onion, peeled and finely sliced
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
Pinch of chilli powder
20-24 bamboo satay skewers, soaked in water
6 tablespoons smooth or crunchy peanut butter
1 cup water
3 teaspoons garlic, crushed with salt to taste
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
dash of Tabasco
1/2 cup coconut milk or water
1. Cut chicken into 2.5cm cubes. Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl. Add chicken and stir to coat thoroughly, then cover and leave to marinate for at least one hour in a ceramic or glass dish.
2. Divide chicken pieces equally between bamboo skewers and grill over a barbecue fire, hibachi or under a preheated domestic grill for 5-8 minutes, turning frequently.
3. It may be necessary to cover the ends of the skewers with foil to prevent them from burning during cooking.
4. If using a barbecue, you can keep the sticks away from the fire, just cooking the chicken over the heat. Soaking the bamboo sticks well beforehand is an added protection. Serve hot. Serves 6-8.
5. To Make Peanut Sauce: Combine peanut butter and water in a small saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until mixed.
6. Remove from heat and add all other ingredients, adding enough coconut milk or water to make the paste a thick, pouring consistency.
7. Adjust seasoning and add more salt and lemon juice if necessary. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.