Beef and Red Wine Casserole
4 rashers lean bacon, chopped
500ml red wine
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp flour
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 bay leaves
80g mushrooms, finely sliced
12 button mushrooms
1 large onion, chopped
750g beef braising steak, diced
1 tsp mixed herbs, dried
1. Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan. Fry the beef in the oil until golden brown, then remove and place in casserole dish.
2. Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the pan, adding to the fat from the fried beef. Fry the chopped onion until clear, then add to the casserole dish.
3. Now fry the bacon, onions and button mushrooms, adding more oil if required, until very lightly browned. Add to casserole dish.
4. Remove pan from heat and add flour to remaining oil, stirring rapidly to form a smooth mixture. Add the wine slowly, continuing the stirring. When finished add to the casserole.
5. Add crushed garlic and herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
6. Place in preheated oven at 180 C and cook for 2 1/2 hours.