Base (Apple Mixture):
1/2 cup water
4-6 large green cooking apples
1/4 cup sugar
2-3 Cloves (if liked)
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup sugar (brown or white)
3 Tablespoons butter (3 x 20ml spoons)
1/2 cup rolled oats (optional)
1 Tablespoon butter (greasing)
Preheat oven to 180C.
1. Peel, core and slice apples thinly.
2. Place in saucepan with cloves and water and place lid on.
3. Cook on high for 5-10 minutes until soft.
4. Remove from stove. Remove cloves, add sugar and stir. Pour into bottom of dish.
5. Sift flour into bowl. Rub in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
6. Stir in coconut, sugar and rolled oats. Mix thoroughly.
7. Pour on top of apples. Spread out and bake in a moderate over 15-20 minutes.
Variations and Additions
1/2 t Cinnamon
2 T Honey instead of sugar in apples
Mems Notes: (Topping: I use White Sugar, I also use the rolled oats. Base: I use Cinnamon Sugar instead of cloves – to taste.)