Spicy Crepe Stack
Spicy Crepe Stack
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup fine cornmeal
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 medium green capsicum, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 red chillies, chopped
350g lamb mince
440g can tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato paste
310g can red kidney beans, drained
1/2 cup creme fraiche
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1. Preheat oven to moderate 180°C. Brush an oven tray with melted butter or oil.
2. To make Cornmeal Crepes: Combine flour, cornmeal, egg and water in a blender or food processor bowl; blend for 10 seconds or until smooth.
3. Pour 3 tablespoons of mixture onto lightly greased 18 cm crepe pan; swirl evenly over base. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute or until underside is golden. Turn crepe over; cook other side. Transfer to a plate, cover with a tea-towel. Repeat the process with remaining batter, greasing pan when necessary. You will need to make nine crepes for this recipe.
4. To make Lamb Filling: Heat oil in heavy-based pan, add
onion, capsicum, garlic and chilli, stir-fry over medium heat for 2 minutes or until onion is lightly browned. Add lamb mince, stir-fry over high heat for 4 minutes or until well browned and all the liquid has evaporated. Use a fork to break up any lumps as mince cooks. Add undrained crushed tomatoes and tomato paste, bring to the boil, reduce heat to a simmer; cover, cook for 5 minutes or until the mixture has reduced and thickened; stir occasionally. Add beans and stir to mix.
5. To assemble: Place a crepe onto prepared tray; spread with 3 teaspoons creme fraiche and one-eighth of the Lamb Filling. Repeat layering process with the remaining creme fraiche and Lamb Filling, ending with a crepe. Sprinkle stack with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses; bake for 30 minutes or until heated through and golden brown. To serve, cut crepe stack into wedges.
# Creme fraiche is a thick, sharp-tasting cream, similar to sour cream but with a softer flavour.
# Can substitute Lamb for other Mince.