Fresh Rice-Paper Rolls
1/2 pkt rice noodles
1/2 kilo cooked and peeled prawns
fine sliced lettuce (optional)
snow pea sprouts (optional)
* Soak noodles in boiling water until they are soft, drain and rinse under cold water.
* In a frying pan or other large shallow utensil heat some water until it is almost boiling.
* Arrange all your ingredients in easy reach.
* Drop a piece of rice paper in the water until it is soft then retrieve it (just put chopsticks under and lift, or use an egg flip).
* Lay it flat on a chopping board.
* On the rice paper put down some noodles, put 3 prawns in a row on top then some mint leaves and other ingredients.
* Roll the end of the rice paper over to cover fillings then fold sides in and finish rolling.
* Put the finished roll aside and the repeat.
1/4 cup castor sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/4 cup lime juice
2 cloves garlic chopped roughly
fresh sliced chilli
* Before you start rolling the rolls combine all the ingredients except the chilli and give the sauce a stir.
* Let it stand while you make rolls (about 1/2 an hour).
* Strain out garlic and lime pulp.
* Add chillies just before serving.
Alternative Dipping Sauce
Put 1 tin pineapple, 1 or 2 chillies and fish sauce to taste in a blender and puree.