Lamb and Spinach Pie
2 tablespoons oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
500g lamb mince
250g small button mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
3/4 cup tomato puree
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 cup chicken stock
6 large spinach leaves
milk for glazing
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons water
1. Preheat oven to moderately hot 210Â°C. Brush an oven tray with melted butter or oil. Heat oil in heavy-based pan, add onion and garlic, stir-fry over medium heat for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Add lamb mince, stir-fry over high heat until well-browned and all of the liquid has evaporated. Use a fork to break up any lumps as mince cooks.
2. Add mushrooms, rosemary, tomato puree and blended flour and stock, stir over high heat until boiling, reduce heat to a simmer, cook uncovered for 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated and mixture has thickened, stir often, cool.
3. Remove stalks from spinach leaves; discard. Blanch leaves in boiling water for 3 minutes or until tender. Rinse under cold water; drain, chop roughly.
4. To make Pastry: Place flour and butter in food processor bowl. Using pulse action, press button for 20 seconds or until mixture is a fine, crumbly texture. Add egg and almost all the water, process 5 seconds until mixture is smooth, add more water if necessary. Leave covered with plastic wrap, in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
5. Turn onto lightly floured surface, knead 1 minute or until smooth. Roll half pastry into a 23cm round, place onto oven tray.
6. Spoon lamb filling onto pastry leaving a 2cm border, top with spinach, brush border with milk.
7. Roll remaining pastry to a 26cm round, place over filling, press edges together, pinch frill around edge. Brush all over with milk, sprinkle with sesame and caraway seeds. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges to serve.