Photo by Julie O’Malley
Pear-Caramel Ice Cream
3 medium sized ripe pears, peeled and cored
500ml heavy cream
1/8 tsp coarse salt
A few drops freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Spread the sugar in a large non reactive heavy bottomed saucepan. Cook the sugar over med heat watching it carefully. When it begins to liquefy and darken at the edges, use a heatproof spatula to very gently stir the sugar, encouraging the heat of the liquefied sugar around the edges to moisten and melt the sugar crystals in the centre.
2. Once the sugar becomes deep amber, stir in the pear pieces. Some of the caramel will seize and harden, but as your cook the pears, use a heatproof utensil to stir them and melt any bits of hard caramel. Continue to cook the pears for 10 minutes, until the pieces are cooked through.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in 125ml of the cream, then mix in the remaining cream, along with the salt and lemon juice.
4. Let cool to room temp then puree in a blender or processor until smooth.
5. Press the mixture through a mesh strainer with a flexible spatula to remove any tough pear fibres.
6. Chill the mixture thoroughly then churn in your maker.