Photo by Julie O’Malley
1 cup self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 1/2 cups grated carrot
1/2 cup sultana’s
1/2 cup chopped glace ginger – optional (can replace with sultana’s)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup sunflower oil
Cream Cheese Icing:
115g cream cheese
225g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
walnuts, to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 160°c (325°f).
2. Grease a 15cm x 25cm (6in x 10in) loaf tin, line the base with paper and grease the paper.
3. Sift flour, bicarb soda and cinnamon in a medium bowl of an electric mixer.
4. Stir in sugar, carrot, sultana’s, ginger and walnuts.
5. Combine the eggs and oil and add to flour mixture.
6. Beat on medium speed for 5 minutes (mixture will be fairly runny).
7. Pour mixture into prepared loaf tin and bake for approx 55 minutes.
8. Turn onto wire rack to cool.
9. To make Icing: In a small bowl beat together all the ingredients.
10. When cake is cold, spread with icing. Decorate with walnut pieces.
Note: This cake can be frozen for up to 2 months.