Golden Syrup Dumplings
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
2 teaspoons margarine
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup milk
600ml carton low-fat prepared custard
2 cups water
1 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup golden syrup
1. Sift flour into a large bowl. Add margarine and rub in using fingertips, until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre.
2. In a small jug, lightly beat egg and milk. Add to flour mixture, and mix using a butter knife until evenly moistened.
3. Gather dough together gently. Pinch off portions and roll into walnut sized balls (make 18 in total). Set aside.
4. To make sauce, combine water, sugar and syrup in a wide saucepan and stir over medium heat without boiling until sugar dissolves.
5. Increase heat to medium-high, bring to the boil. Add dumplings, cook for 8 minutes until increased in size and cooked through and syrup is reduced and thickened slightly.
6. Serve dumplings drizzled with syrup and custard.