Foolproof Chocolate Caramel Slice
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
125g butter, melted
395g can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tablespoons golden syrup
50g butter, chopped
200g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup pouring cream
1. Preheat oven to 180c no fan. Line base and sides of a 3cm deep, 16cmx26cm slab pan with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at both long sides.
2. Combine the flour, brown sugar and coconut in a bowl. Add butter and stir to combine. Press mixture over the base of the prepared pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until light golden.
3. For the Caramel Filling: Combine the condensed milk, golden syrup and butter in a 2 litre capacity heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave uncovered, for 3-4 minutes on High/100% whisking every minute until light golden and thickened slightly. Pour the warm caramel over the warm base.
4. Bake slice a further 10-12 minutes or until the edges are deep golden. Set aside to cool 1 hour.
5. For the Chocolate Topping: Place the chocolate and cream in a heatproof microwave-safe bowl. Microwave uncovered in 1 minute bursts on High/100% stirring after each minute with a metal spoon until smooth.
6. Spread the chocolate over the room temperature caramel. Set aside until firm. Cut into squares using a warm knife.
Add 1 cup chopped roasted hazelnuts to the caramel before pouring over the base in step 3.