Five-Spice Sticky Date Pudding
2 1/2 cups (385g) pitted dates, chopped
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
150g butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup (165g) brown sugar
1 3/4 cups (270g) self-raising flour
1 tsp Chinese five-spice
Double cream, to serve
1 cup (200g) brown sugar
1/2 cup (125ml) thickened cream
1/2 cup (125ml) coconut cream
1. Preheat oven to 180Â°C. Line a 20cm round cake pan with non-stick baking paper. Place the dates and 2 cups (500ml) water into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda. Set aside to cool completely.
2. Use an electric beater to beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in the eggs.
3. Fold in the flour, five-spice and date mixture until well combined. Pour into the pan. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
4. To make the sauce, stir the sugar, cream and coconut cream in saucepan over low heat, until smooth.
5. Serve the cake with the sauce and double cream.