Chocolate and Cinnamon Flan
215g (1 cup) caster sugar
60ml (1/4 cup) water
500ml (2 cups) milk
100g dark cooking chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Strawberries, washed, hulled, quartered, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Line the base of a large baking dish with a tea towel, folded to fit.
2. Place the sugar and water in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves.
3. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil. Cook, without stirring, occasionally brushing down the side of pan with a pastry brush dipped in water, for 7 minutes or until golden. Use an oven mitt or tea towel to hold a round 20cm (base measurement) cake pan with one hand. Pour in the caramel and swirl to coat the base and 2cm up the side. Set aside to cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, place the milk and chocolate in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth.
5. Whisk together the eggs, condensed milk, cinnamon and vanilla in a large bowl. Gradually add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Place the cake pan in the lined baking dish. Pour the custard mixture into the pan. Pour enough boiling water into the dish to come halfway up the side of the pan. Bake in oven for 40 minutes or until just set.
6. Carefully remove the cake pan from the baking dish. Set aside for 40 minutes to cool. Place in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight to chill.
7. To serve, run a flat-bladed knife around the edge of the pan. Carefully turn the flan onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve with strawberries.