65g caster sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
300ml thickened cream
6 scoops vanilla ice-cream
200ml Calvados or brandy
Grated nutmeg or chocolate, to serve
1. Place the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla bean and seeds in a deep saucepan. Use a hand blender to beat until combined.
2. Place the saucepan over medium-low heat and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
3. Strain into a bowl or jug, then add half the cream and use the hand blender to beat until combined. Refrigerate until completely chilled.
4. Use hand blender to whip remaining cream until thick.
5. To Serve: Place scoops of ice-cream in 6 tall glasses. Divide Calvados or brandy among glasses, then pour over eggnog. Top each with some whipped cream and grated nutmeg.