Chicken in a Cashew Nut Sauce
450g chicken breast fillets, cubed
1 large onion, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, cut in half
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup cashew nuts
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp natural yoghurt
2 1/4 cups button mushrooms, quartered
1 Tbsp sultanas
1 1/4 cup chicken or veg stock
2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander
red and green capsicum cut into strips
rice and fruit chutney to serve
1. Put onion, garlic, tomato paste, nuts, spices, salt, lemon juice and yoghurt into a food processor and process to a paste.
2. Heat a little oil in a large frypan or wok and fry the cubes of chicken in batches for a few mins or until just beginning to brown.
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to the crockpot, leaving the oil in the frypan. Add the capsicum to the pan and fry until starting to brown, remove to crockpot.
4. Add the spice paste and mushrooms to the frypan. Lower the heat and fry gently, stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes. Tip the mix into the crockpot. Add the sultanas and the stock. Stir to combine.
5. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours, stirring halfway through the cooking time.
6. The chicken should be cooked through and very tender.
7. Serve over rice and sprinkle with the coriander/parsley.