Orange Poppy Seed Cake
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup milk
185g butter, softened
3 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
40g poppy seeds
1 cup pure icing sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon softened butter
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat oven to 180Â°C. Grease and line a 20cm (base) round cake pan.
2. Combine flour, sugar, eggs, egg yolk, milk, butter, orange rind, poppy seeds and a pinch salt in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium speed for 6 minutes or until thick.
3. Pour batter into cake pan and smooth surface. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
4. Make Icing: Combine icing sugar, butter and enough milk to make a thick icing.
5. Spread icing over top of cake. Allow to set before serving.
Recipe from Super Food Ideas Magazine (August 2005).